Wednesday 8 February 2012

Seize the Moment.


07:45. Another day, another dollar, whatever that's supposed to mean. Resignation, as ever, looms largest at the outset.

This colder snap hasn't really helped- unless you happen to be a major share-holder in one of 'our' big energy companies- so I'll wrap up in a further layer, avail myself of a warm beverage and curl up around a book. Escapism, exactly the ticket. I just hope that, when I reach for the tea, I can still bend my arms.

Thanks to Sailing "Footprints: Real to Reel" (Ronn ashore)

Curse of the retired; no sooner have I settled, than the doorbell should ring out in 'cheerful' misrepresentation. So, to the door I should waddle, the option of walking having been sacrificed to that one further layer. Not even a parcel for me, merely a drop off for the at-work neighbours. Naturally there is a small admin charge, so not an entirely wasted journey- a tenner I consider, plucking a random figure from the ether. Postie isn't exactly over the moon but, as I am quick to observe, the Post Office is far from above such things. Perhaps I shall risk half an hour of heating, as due reward.

08:50. As the inside temperature returns to single figures I arm myself with bus pass and venture towards the city library.

09:50. Too slow to sidestep the clipboard-armed youth, a further ten minutes is devoted to the aspired boosted sales of some company of which I have never heard. Chancing my arm, I levy a small admin charge; "Time is money, my friend," I feel obliged to point out. And I'll forgo that chance to 'win' the placatory clothes voucher, thanks all the same. Things are looking up.

Thank you i.tokaris

It would appear that I am not alone in my yearnings for a smidgen of warmth. The library has been transformed. Are these not the same crowd, with which I once shared a Saga Holiday, albeit somewhat more subdued this time round? Colder too; on this occasion I'll give it another fifteen minutes, before I might venture to shed the outer coat.

11:25. Fortuitous indeed that the library is so conveniently adjacent to those public toilets. Curiously I appear to have passed more liquid than I have actually consumed, maybe my flask has acquired certain TARDIS-like qualities, or maybe it's an age thing.

Delaying the return journey, I opt to join the library; use it or lose it! Naturally there was a very small admin charge. Strictly speaking, it was a tiny bit of a liberty; I'd become obsessed with the ideas of rounding the day's takings up to thirty quid. "So, just the eight pounds, if you please."

17:30. The boiler is roaring, but the living room has barely crept above seventeen degrees. I daren't twitch the dial, so I cocoon myself within a further layer once again. Then I notice the post, which I can no longer bend to retrieve. What's this, 'Don't lose your right to vote!' Another admin charge, think I.

Tomorrow I shall be writing to my bank, to advise them that I am still in the black, despite the numerical protestations of my energy supplier. I believe the going rate is thirty pounds a letter.

Cold callers beware!


No comments:

Post a Comment