Thursday 8 October 2009

Great minds at work?


Was I imagining it, or did it really happen? Surely someone with a sense of humour has created this one, carefully crafted its form, revised its potential to be taken seriously and pushed it out there to be considered, laughed at, and more sensibly dismissed as a pointless hoax. What do you think?

I could be wrong, I haven't actually got the time to devote to such nonsense. I really am fully committed to my own, far more pertinent, avenues of investigation. All the same, did I read that the tyres of vehicles upon Europe's roads are to be produced to a quieter overall standard, thus reducing the hiss of passing traffic? Tell me, please, that I imagined it!

Heavy Traffic by Cadigan.

Shh! Thanks to Cadigan's photostream

Am I the only person thinking, 'Oh, for the sound of hissing tyres to occasionally grace my ears, I might sell my very soul'? For these gently rounded creations to murmur more loudly than the gun-like-salvo of the speeding heavy goods vehicle, as it careers dangerously towards its next near miss or accident, whisper above the challenge of souped-up shrine-seeking youths, susurrate more clearly than the whining mosquito-engined toy-moped as it seeks out the next exclusive gathering of its kind, where the incessant revving of screaming engines might compete to cause the very ground to tremble. How on Earth will we recognise the passing of this world-changing event, so swamped will its meagre offering be?

Next, I'll be reading that the sales of exhausts with a diameter large enough to house a muscle-builder's leg have ceased, that the manufacture of cars that might easily treble the legal speed-limit is no longer permitted, or that Jeremy Clarkson has achieved gainful employment, working commitedly towards a more egalitarian and sustainable planet. Or, far more likely, it was all a dream and we are all sailing up said creek without said paddles- and that nobody thought to mention that ruddy great waterfall!

Traffic-"light" (50 sec) by doommeer.

Silent night exemplified by doommeer's photostream

Distractions, who needs them? Or so I thought, but then isn't it funny how often, if you follow a false trail for long enough, it brings you back to the one true path? And what might all this have to do with Faeries, you're probably thinking.

N.B. The European Union has agreed a target of five years time, for the fitting of 'whispering tyres' to all (with the usual exemptions) European vehicles, thus reducing traffic noise by as much as two decibels per vehicle. I can barely contain myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment